Wednesday, February 17, 2010

SoCal Living- Nanny

Everyday I am getting more used to, and dare I say enjoying life in SoCal more and more. There are moments that I am struck by how different life is here. This week I had some of those moments...

At a mommy group that I go to weekly, at a local church; I was a part of a conversation about hired help (really just a bystander with NOTHING to contribute). Let me start by saying I don't have any problem with those that have the funds to hire a little help here and there. Heck when I was working we had a cleaning service come 2 times a month. We would hire a babysitter so we could have a date night. Though that was not the only hired help some of these gals had. Of the 6 of us stay-at-home moms at the table 3 gals were sharing how they needed more hours from their nannies. One gal now has her nanny 5 days a week! Another one of the mom's went on to say that Caucasian nannies are the worst because they will only watch your kids and not clean up the house, they don't work as hard as nannies of a different race. I was thinking "did she really just say that out-loud?!?!"

Anyway, all of that to say, I have NEVER heard a conversation like this back in the Rocky Mountains! I would be lying if I said that conversation did not discourage me. It was not discouraging in the sense that it made me jealous but rather that it was discouraging in that I often feel like I am not like the culture or the norm (which I am totally okay with), I often wonder if others can relate to me at all... will they even take the time to get to know me?

I guess I was just surprised at the conversation... life is just different here.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's so sad to hear mother's talking that way. I've been a "Caucasian" nanny for 5 yrs and I do my job harder than anyone :) I've luckily worked for 5 amazing families and have not had to deal with a stay at home mom that can't take care of her own kid! Love your blog, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails