Monday, July 5, 2010

Hands Full

I can't tell you how many people have said to me recently, "Wow, you have your hands full."  I usually respond, "Yes, I do."  When I was flying with H and Bug a few months ago, I had at least 15  people say a version of "Your hands are full, and it looks like they are getting even more full," referring to my bulging belly.  And all of the comments have actually come when my kids are being pretty well behaved.

Even today, we went for a walk around the block and a man was walking with his little boy.  He looked at me, and my kiddos (H on his bike, Bug in the stroller and Baby Bro in the front carrier).  Then he said the infamous, "Boy, you sure have your hands full."  I said, "Yes, I do," in agreement with him. 

But as I walked away, I paused, wondering what my kids think of my response.  The statement in and of itself is not bad, my hands are full.  It is the negative connotation with which it is usually said.  Is my response showing my kids that I delight in them, or that they are a burden to me?  Yes, having 3 kids feels busy and at times overwhelming.  Yes, my 2 hands are full, and it would be helpful if I had 2 more.  But, truth be told, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

So maybe that is my new response, "I wouldn't have it any other way."

I was processing this with Mr. Steady this evening, and it was just convicting.  I want to live my life in that same posture.  On days when it does feel overwhelming having 3 little ones, I want to remind myself of the blessing that they are and that I really wouldn't want life any other way.

2 comments:

  1. I never thought of that before. You are so right. I love what you chose to now use as your response. It is perfect. You have a very sweet family, love you pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello dearie! Matt and I were just having this discussion about a few different phrases when you're expecting your first.
    1. "Get all the sleep you can now."
    2. "Enjoy life now!!"
    and our favorite,
    3. "Your life is about to change!"
    We have such a hard time not coming back with a sarcastic remark like, "Oh can we save up our sleep in the sleep bank?" or, "Are you implying we won't enjoy life with this beautiful little baby we've been blessed with?" :) I know people are well-meaning and just trying to relate, but I would love if someone would just say, "You're going to love it!" or, "I bet you're so excited!" :) I like your new response, it will be interesting to see if people respond differently. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails