Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Mama's busy training

So part of the reason that I have not been the best at blogging lately is that my time is being gobbled up in other arenas of life.  One of which is that I am training for a triathlon.   And before you go thinking that I am some fitness fanatic, let me assure you, that this is the shortest triathlon I was able to find!  Haha!  It is called a "super sprint" which might lead you to believe that it is longer than a sprint, not a chance... a "mini sprint" would be way more accurate. 

None the less this (Super/ Mini triathlon),  has gotten this mama into a regular workout routine, which I haven't had in 6.5 years.  Hmm, sounding remarkably similar to the age of my eldest!  Yep, since I had H, I have not consistently worked out for more than 2 weeks at a time.  But I have been going strong for 2 months now, working out 4-6 days a week!  And finally this week, I feel like it has actually made a difference, I can run further before getting winded, I can bike easier, swimming... well lets all pray I don't drown, because I struggle in the water... and if I struggle in the water, well there goes the rest of my race!

So what do I have to show for it...
Well I have GAINED 3 pounds... I know, I know, muscle weighs more than fat... still, NOT cool, what girl wants to gain weight?!?!
All my pants are too tight in the thighs... I might have thunder-thighs when this is done
Finally, I can say (for the first time since high school) that working out is a part of my regular routine!  Wooo Hooo

Just so you can get a realistic picture... and so I can remember where I was at at this stage of the game, this is what I am capable of right now...
1.  I can swim 2-3 laps, before I have to stop (big improvement, when I started training I had to stop each lap) and can go about 20 laps total (with many brakes)
2.  I can run 1.25 miles without wanting to walk.  Before I started training I could only do about .5 miles.
3.  My longest bike ride to date is about 8 miles, though, with lots of hills, so that has to count for something : )

I have a long way to go in my training.  But I am thankful to say that my body is healthy and I am getting stronger by the day!  Thank you Lord for that!!

1 Corinthians 9:24 "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it."
-my prize will be simply being able to finish the race!!  That is enough for me!

5 comments:

  1. So proud of you.....One day I will do a triathlon. You are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can totally do it!
    Here to help in the swim category if you need. Really!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a sprint tri in September 2004 and it was a fantastic experience. Laura was my swimming coach and taught the to swim. I've recently added back lap swimming to my routine. Are you training with some friends? When's the big race?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is at the end of May, and yes, doing the race with a couple of friends. Laura, I think I could use a little help with swimming... especially tips for ocean swim. I had a mini-panic attack when I went in the ocean 2 weeks ago. What was I thinking signing up for an ocean swim??

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails