Saturday, June 26, 2010
Car Seat Canopy/ Car Seat Cover/ Car Seat Tent
I used the following blogs to tweek my own pattern:
Reversible Cover made by Sweetnsassygirls.com
A little Bit Larger: infarrantlycreative.blogspot.com
And this one to get a picture for the opening in the front: www.joyshope.com
What you will need...
2 different fabrics,
1.25 yards of one
1 yard of the other
Ribbon and or embellishments (I used some Ric Rac)
Steps for creating:
1. Cutting Fabric: Cut salvaged edges off both pieces. Then cut fabric to be 34"x42"
2. Round Corners: Using a large bowl or oval platter, round corners. On my front corners, I went back 6" so that it won't drag. On the back corners, I went in 3"
3. Make sure fabric is right side in, pin fabrics together to make sure they line up, trim off any excess.
4. To cut the center opening: Line up on cutting mat, or measure off to find center. I cut 16.5 inches up from the bottom (of the side with the front corners). I think I would make it a little longer next time. Maybe 18".
** If you are going to embelish down the center or add ribbon to tie the front together, now is the time to pin it all into place. I actually sewed in the Ric Rac first then pressed this section to make sure it lined up correctly. For me, the Ric Rac was by far the hardest part of putting this together, I struggled thinking inside out, rounding the corner at the top and then invisioning what it would look like flipped. I am sure that if you sew more often than I do, you would have no problem. I struggled on this part, but was well worth the ripped out stitches, mind puzzle, and finally figuring it out. I love how the center opening turned out.
5. Once you have the cener all figured out. Lay fabrics flat (right sides in), double check that fabrics lie flat once pined together. Sew almost all of the way around leaving an opening of about 6" so you can turn the fabric right side out.
6. Once turned right-side out, press flat. Be sure to turn under the fabric at the 6" opening so you can sew that section closed.
7. Top stitch around the whole cover. Be sure to enclose the 6" opening you left for turning right-side out.
8. Cut the straps. I cut 4 straps that were 9" long x5" wide.
9. Sewing Straps: Fold straps in half (width wise, with right sides in). Once folded straps will be 9"x2.5". Press. Sew on one short side then long side. Turn right side out. Fold freyed edges under by about 1/4", press. Top stitch straps (at least the side with the opening).
10. Finishing off the straps: I cut ribbon to tie over the handle of the car seat (you could just do the ribbon and forget the strap cutting). I cut my ribbon 26" long. Then I sewed on the straps, I did not sew all of the way to the edges, just a rectangle in the center of the ribbon to attache it well to the strap. Alternatives for ribbon would be a ribbon fold and then a button on top. Sewing on a fabric flower. Really however you want to finish it off.
11. Pining Straps on Canopy: This was a tricky part. I sewed mine on 10" in from the outside edges, about 20" up from the bottom of the front. Pin it on secured with multiple pins, then strap on carseat to make sure it fits where you want it to. I adjusted mine 2 times after testing it out on the actual carseat. If you are making your canopy reversible, once you have the top straps pined in place, pin the 2nd set of straps on the back side of the canopy in the exact place you have the top straps.
12. Sewing Straps on: Measure out where the center of the strap is (about at 4.25"), mark it with a pin. Then create a box 1" wider than the center point (1/2" lengthwise on the top and bottom side of the pin) but just as wide as the strap. Box will be about 1"x 2.5". I also put an X through the box for extra reinforcement.
13. Strap on your car seat and admire all of your hard work... and count down the days until you can put your little bundle of joy inside your adorable canopy you created.
Hopefully this all makes sense! Let me know if part of this is confusing.
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
that is sooo cute!ReplyDelete
Thank you so much for sharing this post! This was the only tutorial I could find for the open front canopy! All the others are just the regular cover or a peek a boo window. Instructions are great! Good job!ReplyDelete
I love this! Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful instructions. I altered the edging for the opening by adding strips of fabric instead and it turned out great. I love it. Thanks again!!!ReplyDelete
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE RIC RACK, DID YOU FACE THE SIDE U WANTED OUTWARD AND SHOWING TWORDS THE BACKING OR THE FRONT? MINE ISNT REVERSIBLE SO IM HAVING ISSUES SEEING IT INSIDE OUT AND BEING A BEGINNER ITS OVER WHELMING I JUST SET IT DOWN CAUSE I DONT WANT TO SCREW UP AND HAVE TO SEAM RIP IT ALL OUT! ALSO Y WOULD YOU MAKE 4 STRAPS INSTEAD OF JUST 2 LONGER ONES? OH CAUSE U HAVE 2 FOR THE OTHER SIDE BECAUSE ITS REVERSIBLE? THANKS FOR SHARING AND HOPEFULLY I GET A RESPONSE.....ReplyDelete
CRYSTAL AND MOMMA OF 4 UNDER 4
I want to buy one 801-824-1613ReplyDelete
I am not understanding the picture above #3 in the instructions. What is the white fabric? Are you lining the cover?ReplyDelete
I love this canopy and can't wait to sew it.
I visited this page first time and found it Very Good Job of acknowledgment and a marvelous source of info.........Thanks Admin!ReplyDelete
you said that you cut out four straps but I only see you using two??ReplyDelete
Love,LOve, LOVE it!!!!!!!!ReplyDelete
I made this....it is fantastic!!! I even added a zipper to the front to keep it from blowing open when it's windy. 😁ReplyDelete
Car seat covers bring additional comfort. They will keep you cool in summer and warm in winter improving your driving experienceReplyDelete
Auto seat Covers
Best pattern I have seen. I will try this tonight.ReplyDelete
This is very nice information. because our child safty is very important to us hence you may like baby care Strollers canopy/hood from http://www.lovee.com They have many varieties like mountain buggy nano canopyReplyDelete
Thanks for share because child safety is the major fact for parents when they are travelling with their baby!ReplyDelete
Seat Covers For Trucks
Thanks for sharing us this fashionable seat pad and canopy.ReplyDelete
You May like babyzen yoyo seat pad and bugaboo bee canopy for your Baby strollers by lovee.com...
This is an informative blog by which I have got that info which I really wanted to get.ReplyDelete
Seat Covers for Tacoma
I have a couple questions when following the instructions please answer them so I can continue:ReplyDelete
I am wondering what step you sewed the separating zipper in with two fabrics. Also, it had no instructions how to do it can you please explain that step?
Also, when you rounded off the corners, what size did you end up with? I believe i did that part wrong. When you have the oval player on it did you cut around that corner then continue cutting straight? And did you just measure 6 inches from the very corner to the middle of the oval plate? I'm confused on that. Thanks
Can you please answer the above question about the six inches?! You asked that we let you know if anything was confusing, so why don't you answer?! It is so frustrating to try to use a tutorial, have questions, and the blogger is awol. It's not just you; happens all the time. Y'all never go back and look at the comments?!ReplyDelete
I'm a beginner at sewing and was able to make this the only thing I had trouble with was the explanation of when to add the embellishment.ReplyDelete
Established in the year 1982, at Delhi (India), we, “LOKESH ENTERPRISES”, are considered as the noteworthy manufacturer and supplier of a comprehensive assortment of Automotive Products. The offered range comprises of Cable Assembly, Accelerator Cable, Bonnet Cable, Clutch Cable, D Compressor Cable, Stop Cable, Handbrake Cable, Diesel Pipe, Brake Pipe and Brake Hose etc VIEW MORE :- Car seat coversReplyDelete
we have simply the best vehicle cowl for you. Our exactly tailored car cover will ensure you've got the high-quality equipped vehicle cover at the same time as our meticulously engineered, most superior cloth will make certain your car gets general protection from day-to-day. solara car coversReplyDelete
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
S.N ENTERPRISES was founded in the year 1990, by Mr. Naveen Arora and is the leading manufacturer of Hydraulic Pipe Bending Machines , Pipe Bending Die, Ball Mandrel, Wiper shoe, Receiving Gauge, Welding Fixtures, Brazing Fixtures. Visit: Pipe Bending DieReplyDelete
S.N Enterprises also offers complete Pipe Bending services, End Forming services, Pipe Flaring services in material MS, Aluminum, ERW, Stainless Steel, Copper, Titanium and others. View More: Pipe Bending ServicesReplyDelete
I have read your whole article,I am looking forward to see your new articles. Car carpet in Oshawa, OntarioReplyDelete
Convertible top, Oshawa Ontario
Nice Post..Thanks for sharingReplyDelete
Capsules Manufacturer in Himachal Pradesh
anti acne drugs in himachal pradesh
topical steroids in himachal pradesh
There are beautiful places to camp all around the United States of america. Learn about How To Fold Beach Tent | Camp Shores on campshores.com.ReplyDelete
I Found your post interesting to read. I'm glad to drop by your page. This post is really informative. Car carpet in Oshawa OntarioReplyDelete
Convertible top Oshawa Ontario
So it is interesting and very good written and see what they think about other people.ReplyDelete
Maybe perhaps not many folks are able to manage to get a garage to receive their automobile, hence auto covers could become your selection and the auto Car Covers will help guard your vehicle.ReplyDelete
WOW! your post is very good with effective information and amazing images. Car seat covers Oshawa OntarioReplyDelete
Leather car seat covers Oshawa Ontario
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Hello, this weekend is good for me, since this time i am reading this enormous informative article here at my home. babykidshqReplyDelete
Hello there Guys,ReplyDelete
Summer is just around the corner, and we’re sure that you can’t wait to enjoy a fun day with your family at the beach.
Be sure to pack sunscreens, hats, towels, food and most importantly a baby beach tent for your little one. New research studies recommend that children under 6 months of age should avoid sun exposure (Source). A beach tent not only offers protection for the little one,
but it also provides a relatively clean and sand-free space to put your baby to sleep or to change his diaper
Investing in a good quality toddler best beach tent will go a long way in helping you and your family enjoy a safe and stress-free holiday at the beach.
A baby beach tent is lightweight and easily portable for your convenience. When you go for beach tent shopping,
you have to be very thoughtful about what kind of beach tent would you like to invest in, considering its safety and quality features.
Thanks alot guys..
You have given such an amazing tips and information to make a seat cover.I really liked it keep sharing with us.And also if you guys need a seat cover then vist here.ReplyDelete
Seat covers in Oshawa Ontario
Car seat covers Oshawa Ontario
Excellent post! Thanks for sharing such useful information for us.ReplyDelete
Canopy fabric in Bali
I personally use them exclusively high-quality elements : you will notice these folks during: AshtraysReplyDelete
Call today for same-day windshield repair & replacement service. And best of all, due to our window repair and replacement San Jose we can easily come to your home or business location.ReplyDelete
i am browsing this website dailly , and get nice facts from here all the time .ReplyDelete
The blogger has given and wonderfull content to read. I appreciate.ReplyDelete
Planing to change your old sedan with new nissan Suv with hill descent control. Auto climate control, All wheel drive with free spare tyre. With yokohama geolander japs All terrain tyres . Dont Worry about credit and finance
bad credit car finance new zealand.
Call us at our 24 hours help line number 021183 8471
very informative site.ReplyDelete
all the above accessories for cars is only worth full if you are planning to buy a car on Bad Credit Car Loans
if you are Independently employed, working, or a stay-at-home parent, you can get your vehicle finance done without giving any deposit in advance. At HighBeam Cars 1 Gloucester Road, Manurewa, Auckland 2102 , New Zealand
(Auckland South) +640223702823 / 0508 000 999
Avail the Best Car Finance NZ deals on 138 quality checked used cars in New Zealand with HighBeam cars
beach canopy pop up tentReplyDelete
Very amazing post thanks for sharing this post with us.ReplyDelete
The blog you shared has given me a lot of information about what this blog is aboutReplyDelete
Superior Leather Car Seat Covers | Customize Car Seat Cover