Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Character Training

H-man has another year of pre-school before he starts kindergarten.  I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what to do for him for this year of pre-K.  He will be attending a home school/ Christian school (co-op program) 1 day a week and they will be providing some of the academic curriculum.

Beyond the curriculum that the school is providing I was really struggling trying to narrow down what to do for school time with H.  I don't want to do too much on the academic side because I have a fear of him being bored when he gets to kindergarten.  I was talking with my friend Jen, that has a son a year ahead of H at the school and she encouraged me to just really focus on heart-training.  As she said to me, all kids will catch up in the academics, but I only have so much time when our main focus can be heart-training.  Whew, what a weight off my shoulders to now have a plan.  But, yikes, I had the realization that teaching the ABC's and numbers is SOOOO much easier than instilling Biblical character in my kids.  Truth be told, I have an easy time identifying negative character qualities in my kids but I am not always as good at knowing how to turn those negative character qualities 180 degrees in the opposite direction and teach them the corresponding positive, Biblical character qualities in a way that is accessible and discernible for their age.  

I have found some amazing resources that I am going to use for our school time/ heart training.  I started with Hubbards Cupboard Pre-K curriculum on Character.  Then through the amazing blog-o-sphere, I came across a mom that made printables for each of the character traits.  We are going to be doing the character traits a little out of order so that it can match up as best as possible wit H's memory verse for preschool.

Below are some other amazing books that we will be using to add content, stories and more:
My ABC Bible Verses: Hiding God's Word in Little HeartsWisdom and the Millers: Proverbs for Children (Miller Family (Harvest House))



What an amazing year ahead of us.  Praying that God will give us wisdom and we parent these adorable little people that have been entrusted to us!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kelly-
    Just wondering what school co-op that you found for your son? Also this book which we recently purchased is a great one on character traits...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0800754948/ref=oss_product

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Jen, that book looks great! It is on the list for my next amazon order : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. what co-op did you find for your son?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the character traits printables!! Thank you for sharing :0)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails