Sunday, April 18, 2010

Finnish Pancakes

Yummy!!!  Seriously, such a scrumptious breakfast that I am so excited to share with all of you : )

Finnish Pancakes, or as my dutch friend Kathy calls them "Dutch Babies."  Call them whatever you want... I just hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 Cup milk
2 Eggs
2/3 Cup flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 Cup butter


Directions:
Turn oven on to 400 degrees
Place butter in 9" pie plate, put in oven until butter is completely melted
Place all ingredients (except butter) in blender.  Blend.
Pour batter over melted butter in pie plate.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and firm.

I like mine best with either a fruity topping or powdered sugar.  Mr. Steady and H love a little bit of syrup on theirs and Bug scarfs them down just plain.  For our little family, I actually double the recipe and end up with a quarter of a pie plate left, which I put in a container and then into the fridge. The leftovers heat nicely in the microwave and are just as delicious the next morning... okay, I will be honest... it usually won't last that long in my house.  I have it as an afternoon snack when the kids are napping... that way I don't have to share any : )

Tips on the recipe...
1.  If I know the morning is going to be hectic... The night before I put all of the dry ingredients in the blender and have the milk and eggs mixed in a container in the fridge.
2.  You probably could cut out a little of the butter.  I haven't yet, but every time I make it I think that I should not put in the full amount.  Truth be told, we love butter in our house. 
3.  I have substituted whole wheat flour for 1/2 of what is called for, and it still tasted great.
4.  Optional ingredients: (Both of these ingredients are on my recipe card, but I have never had either of these around, so I haven't used them.  I bet it would add more flavor and would be great!)
1/2 tsp. grated fresh lemon (zest)
1/2 tsp. ground cardamon

Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. this is seriously my fav breakfast ever. We love it with fresh berries on top & a little lemon juice :) so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks delicious! The Oasis Cafe has something similar on their menu and I've always wanted to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love Dutch babies! That reminds me, I haven't made them in awhile;) Joe likes his with lemon juice and powdered sugar. I love mine with browned bananas and choc chips;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails